Monday, March 24, 2014

"Graphic Memoirs Come of Age"

Although this reading was fairly long and a little complicated, I can say that I understood it and definitely liked it. I get what Bradley is saying when it comes to classifying such different types of reading into the same category. But I disagree with him in the sense where it seems as if he thinks it’s a bad thing. It came off to me that Bradley sided with the idea of actual novels and memoirs rather than using comic strips to explain one’s life. I admit to say I can definitely be wrong but it felt like he didn’t think comic strips could serve as the same purpose, and that they were more useful for funny stories or jokes. However, I believe they can be used for just as strong as a purpose that novels and memoirs go far. When it comes to writing, I think of it as a form of art. And when it comes to art, there is no one specific way to express it. Every single person has a unique way that applies to them as an individual. So if someone wanted to express their life experiences through comic strips, why not? It’s true that everyone has their opinions but no one should be limited to have to express yourself “by the rules.” If Bradley doesn’t agree with it, then he can stick to his type of writing while letting others write the way they want too. Even though I didn’t agree with everything Bradley stated, I can definitely say that he addressed great points in his text that can start up strong feelings about the different types of writing.

2 comments:

  1. Seher,

    I like your view on how comic strips can serve a purpose the same way novels and memoirs can. It is true that it's a form of art and there isn't any guidelines on how to express it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heay Seher,
    I feel as if Bradley was down playing the importance of comics and stories that we have read in class. I absolutely agree with you, I think comics can serve as intellectual and useful readings.

    ReplyDelete